Friday, February 21, 2014

Let's Talk Hair

Have I lost your attention yet? I hope not! I know we're talking hair here, but please try to bear with me for a moment.

I've been wanting to donate my hair for years! I've been trying to gather the courage to do it since my freshman year of high school. So.... it's been a while. Every time I get ready to go in to cut it, I would be talked out of it. So it never really happened.

Right before we came to school I decided to do it. I didn't want to cut my hair before school started, but I didn't  want to wait forever either. So I came down to ISU, met the BESTEST roommate ever! and get settled. A few weeks into the new semester, I got the overwhelming urge to donate my hair when I got back from church on Sunday. So, before I could change my mind, I called JC Pennys and set an appointment for that Saturday. I had a whole week. And I didn't want to tell anyone! I didn't want to get talked out of it. Of course, when Emily got back, I told her, and a few of my other friends. But no family knew. I think there were about five people that knew what I was up to including Emily.

When Saturday came around, Emily agreed to come out as moral support. I will admit, I could not eat anything I was so nervous! That morning I think I ate one cookie and almost got sick! It was horrible.

The stylist was really sweet. Her name was Natalia and she was from Russia so she had a cool accent. As we sat down in the chair of hair doom, I explained to her that I was donating my hair and expected it to fall to about my shoulders. I had not had my hair so short for about eight years! Of course, she had to ask when style I wanted to go with (huh? Style??) I had definitely NOT thought that far ahead! When I told her I had no idea, she brought me a few HUGE hair style books. As I went through them, I couldn't decide. I couldn't think past the fact that my hair was about to become half its length. She was observant enough to notice my discomfort, and kind enough to take the books away pretty quickly, injecting her opinion on style and making different comments about layers and length.

I felt myself nodding, and she went for it!

Emily was sitting in the salon station right next to me and took a few pictures and provided emotional support. =D I felt the hair pully-upers-things going into my hair (She had to use two to get all of it, so Locks of Love got two polytails of heavy, thick, crazy hair) and then the scissors. I was blessed with the fact that I didn't feel the weight of my hair leave, or I think I would have freaked right there in the middle of JC Pennys. Then she washed my hair, cut it and styled. To be honest, I don't remember most of what happened after we walked into the salon. I know we talked about stuff and I know she cut my hair. And I know Emily took pictures. That's about it.

Well, because no one knew what I was doing when I went in to cut my hair, I decided to give a little heads up to my parents. Walking towards the station before Natalia cut my hair, I texted my mom. "Hey, I'm donating my hair today. Let you know how it goes!" Then my phone went on silent and in my pocket. I looked at it a few times while we were there, and, no lie, it was actually kinda entertaining to receive my parents' reactions. Frantic phone calls, concerned text messages, my mom (who was at work) had called or text my dad and told him to figure out what was going on and he had actually thought I was cutting someone else's hair! (I don't trust myself with scissors, that would've been interesting!)

Because I was enjoying their reactions so much, I had Emily take a picture of the ponytails sitting on the counter and I sent it to them. Mwa ha ha ha ha!
Me and Natalia

Those horrible books and my ponytails

Two long ponytails. (This is what my parents saw in that picture I sent to them. =D)

Needless to say, their reactions were great! Finally, we finished and I left with this:

But I definitely would not have been able to make it out of there without my Emily! Today, about three months later:

I cannot believe how much it has grown! I really don't think I could have made it without my AMAZING roommate! We weren't half as close then as we are now and her willingness to support me and her encouragement throughout the week pushed me to make it that whole week and keep my desire to cut it. I don't know where I'd be without my Emily, but I know I wouldn't be  the same person and my hair would be longer. =) Love you girl!

Casey

No comments:

Post a Comment